The weekend’s ANDRA Grand Final brought the 2018/2019 Summit Racing Equipment Sportsman Series season to a record-breaking conclusion with no less than eight national records reset at the Perth Motorplex event.
The 1320ft records reset at the event are as follows. For the full current records listing, please click here.
- B/AB (“B”/Altered Bike, Competition Bike Eliminator, Group 2) 1/4 mile Elapsed Time (ET) record – reset from 8.200 secs to 184 secs by Ross Smith #1592
- CC/CB (“C” Power Added/Competition Bike, Competition Bike Eliminator, Group 2) 1/4 mile Elapsed Time (ET) record – reset from 7.446 secs to 7.189 secs by Brett Ghedina #2133
- H/MSA (“H”/Modified Sedan Automatic, Super Stock Eliminator, Group 2) 1/4 mile Elapsed Time (ET) record – reset from 9.249 secs to 229 secs by Jake Chaisty #2743
- RR/G (Turbocharged Rotary/Gas, Super Stock Eliminator, Group 2) 1/4 mile Elapsed Time (ET) record – reset from 8.18 secs. to 7.876 secs by Todd Stacy #1607
- B/AP (“B”/Altered Production, Super Stock Eliminator, Group 2) 1/4 mile Elapsed Time (ET) record – reset from 7.152 secs to 7.125 secs by Robert Dekert #152
- B/AP (“B”/Altered Production, Super Stock Eliminator, Group 2) 1/Terminal Speed (MPH) record – reset from 190.83mph to 191.20mph by Robert Dekert #152
- BB/APIA (“B” Power Added V8/Altered Production with EFI and Automatic Trans, Competition Eliminator, Group 2) 1/4 mile Elapsed Time (ET) record – reset from 6.700 secs to 6.587 secs by Samuel Gullotto #2792
- A/AA (“A” Naturally Aspirated/Altered Automatic, Competition Eliminator, Group 2) 1/4 mile Elapsed Time (ET) record – reset from 7.047 secs to 6.846 secs by Kyle Putland #4206
For Brett Ghedina, the record tops off an impressive weekend at the ANDRA Grand Finals event at which he took out the Top Qualifiers Medallion – thanks to TileCo-TheShowerPeople and KC Tools – for Competition Bike before going on to win the event before being recognised with the Crow Cams Best Engineered Award for his impressive Pace Motorsport Honda CBR1000.
“I am stoked with the results, we didn’t come into the ANDRA Grand Finals intending to achieve that, the idea for our race weekend was just to come away with a new Personal Best but the rest kind of eventuated from that,” Ghedina explained, while thanking his crew members Trevor and Jason as well as his business, Pace Motorsport.
“We are really blown away with the achievements, a lot of hard work has gone into getting it where it got too, but I didn’t think at all that it was going to get to this point this year in the five race meetings we have been to so far.
“We want to be the first ‘six second’ 1000cc no wheelie bar bike in the country – there are two 1300cc motorcycles over East that have achieved that already in Australia but none with a sub-one-litre motorcycle.
“That was the only thing missing from the weekend, it would have been the ultimate but being so close certainly gives you an extra kick of motivation. It will probably take us another six months to get that last bit off there but we will get there eventually!”
For Dekert, his record-breaking result came on the same weekend that he ran a completely new set-up on his way to taking out the runner-up spot in the 2018/2019 Summit Racing Equipment Sportsman Series Super Stock Championship.
“It was a good weekend. We had a whole new set-up, new motor, gearbox, diff; it was good in testing and then it went well on the weekend which we were very pleased about,” Dekert said.
“We wanted to run that number, we had to run it on the weekend for what I had spent getting the car ready!” he laughed.
“If we hadn’t of run that number I wouldn’t have been happy. So it was a really good feeling, especially after all of the drama rebuilding the car between the Westernationals and the Grand Final.
“It can definitely go a touch quicker, this was the first meet out after all with the new set-up.
“My thanks goes to the Perth Motorplex and all of its volunteers, it is a terrific place to race. I also want to thank ANDRA and all of my crew for their help, as well as Unique Body Smash Repairs.”
The 2019/2020 Summit Racing Equipment Sportsman Series will commence at Alice Springs Inland Dragway across August 3 and 4, 2019, before continuing to the Hidden Valley Drag Strip the following week (August 9-10) ahead of round three at Mildura’s Sunset Strip (September 21-22). Further calendar details will be announced in the near future and will be listed on the ANDRA website at https://www.andra.com.au/series/calendar/19-20-andra-drag-racing-calendar/